100 REASONS TO MEDITATE
There are so many advantages to meditation. One of my close friends first originally thought of this. Indeed he wanted to make it 100 benefits long (think big right!), however, he wasn’t sure he could find more than perhaps 20-25 benefits. Well, he made it happen! Meditation is as powerful as he thought it would be, and I’m sharing his list because everyone needs to know this stuff! Here is the definitive list of benefits that meditation can provide you with:
- It lowers oxygen consumption.
- It decreases respiratory rate.
- It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
- Increases exercise tolerance.
- Leads to a deeper level of physical relaxation.
- Good for people with high blood pressure.
- Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
- Decreases muscle tension.
- Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis, etc.
- Reduces pre-menstrual Syndrome symptoms.
- Helps in post-operative healing.
- Enhances the immune system.
- Reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress.
- Enhances energy, strength, and vigour.
- Helps with weight loss.
- Reduction of free radicals less tissue damage.
- Higher skin resistance.
- Drop in cholesterol levels, lowers risk of cardiovascular disease
- Improved flow of air to lungs resulting in easier breathing.
- Decreases the aging process.
- Higher levels of DHEAS (Dehydroepiandrosterone)
- Prevented, slowed, or controlled pain of chronic diseases.
- Makes you sweat less.
- Cure headaches and migraines.
- Greater Orderliness of Brain Functioning.
- Reduced Need for Medical Care.
- Less energy wasted.
- More inclined to sports, activities.
- Significant relief from asthma.
- Improved performance in athletic events.
- Normalizes to your ideal weight.
- Harmonizes our endocrine system.
- Relaxes our nervous system.
- Produce lasting beneficial changes in brain electrical activity.
- Cure infertility (the stresses of infertility can interfere with the release of hormones that regulate ovulation).
PSYCHOLOGICAL BENEFITS –
36. Benefits self-confidence.
37. Increases serotonin level, influences mood and behaviour.
38. Resolve phobias and fears.
39. Helps control own thoughts.
40. Helps with focus and concentration.
41. Increase creativity.
42. Increased brain wave coherence.
43. Improved learning ability and memory.
44. Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
45. Increased emotional stability.
46. Improved relationships.
47. Mind ages at slower rate.
48. Easier to remove bad habits.
49. Develops intuition.
50. Increases Productivity.
51. Improved relations at home and at work.
52. Able to see the larger picture in a given situation.
53. Helps ignore petty issues.
54. Increased ability to solve complex problems.
55. Purifies your character.
56. Develop will power.
57. Greater communication between the two brain hemispheres.
58. React more quickly and more effectively to a stressful event.
59. Increases one’s perceptual ability and motor performance.
60. Higher intelligence growth rate.
61. Increased job satisfaction.
62. Increase in the capacity for intimate contact with loved ones.
63. Decrease in potential mental illness.
64. Better, more sociable behaviour.
65. Less aggressiveness.
66. Helps in quitting smoking, alcohol addiction.
67. Reduces need and dependency on drugs, pills, and pharmaceuticals.
68. Need less sleep to recover from sleep deprivation.
69. Require less time to fall asleep, helps cure insomnia.
70. Increases sense of responsibility.
71. Reduces road rage.
72. Decrease in restless thinking.
73. Decreased tendency to worry.
74. Increases listening skills and empathy.
75. Helps make more accurate judgments.
76. Greater tolerance.
77. Gives composure to act in considered and constructive ways.
78. Grows a stable, more balanced personality.
79. Develops emotional maturity.
SPIRITUAL BENEFITS –
80. Helps keep things in perspective.
81. Provides peace of mind, happiness.
82. Helps you discover your purpose.
83. Increased self-actualization.
84. Increased compassion.
85. Growing wisdom.
86. Deeper understanding of yourself and others.
87. Brings body, mind, spirit in harmony.
88. Deeper Level of spiritual relaxation.
89. Increased acceptance of oneself.
90. Helps learn forgiveness.
91. Changes attitude toward life.
92. Creates deeper relationship with your God.
93. Attain enlightenment.
94. Greater inner-directedness.
95. Helps living in the present moment.
96. Creates a widening, deepening capacity for love.
97. Discovery of the power and consciousness beyond the ego.
98. Experience an inner sense of “Assurance or Knowingness”.
99. Experience a sense of “Oneness”.
100. Increase the synchronicity in your life.
Meditation is also completely FREE! It requires no special equipment, and is not complicated to learn. It can be practiced anywhere, at any given moment, and it is not time consuming (15-20 min. per day is good!). Best of all, meditation has NO negative side effects. Bottom line, there is nothing but positive to be gained from it! With such a huge list of benefits, the question you should ask yourself is, “why am I not meditating yet?”
Make sure you meditate, there are quite simply too many positives to just ignore it.
TEN TIPS FOR SUCCESS IN MEDITATION
- Cherish the center of the body more dearly than life itself;
- Be constantly on the alert to your own weaknesses – weaknesses that hinder the mind from coming to a standstill. Once you discover such weaknesses, rectify them as best you can;
- Let the mind come to a standstill, to a stop, with uninterfering observation, with contentment – nothing more, nothing less;
- Be content with whatever you should see – at least for the interim;
- Observing without interfering will allow your inner experience to unfold in a natural way;
- Whatever you may see, just observe, continuously, in contentment, without analysis or expectation;
- We are but observers – not the ones running the show;
- Inner experience is profound, but can be attained only with ease;
- We are so used to complexity that we have to adapt to cope with this simple task;
- Rest not from this noble task until inner wisdom is attained.
If you are unsure how to meditate, here are a few of my favorite free podcasts to check out:
Wishing you much peace and abundance always…